I would not hesitate to dirt tour on my Cheviot. It is the 60cm version and
can fit 50mm tires.  Not talking fat bike style expedition touring, but
gravel roads and bay area type single track should not pose a problem. Of
course all a matter of how much you carry and how well you pick your lines.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA