Certainly doable.  I am 12 years in my experiment going carless.  Cannot
see myself ever getting one.

The first two years after selling my Miata (hard to do!) I used Zip Car at
least a few times a month.  The last few years my day car use (went from
Zip to Enterprise - they are both decent) has dropped to a few times a
year.

For Chicago bike only I've found a low trail porteur style bike with a nice
big bag atop the big front rack works best.  I put my brief case and
business jacket commuting to work.  Easily fits groceries and most other
purchases.

Chicago has decent mass transit which I use from time to time.  I think
bike only would still work in a city that did not have as many transit
options.