Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I decided that I'm going to build this up as my commuter/light tourer,
replacing my current too-small-for-me Bridgestone 450 of the same year, or
possibly the year after. I've been riding the 450 to 5 miles work every day
for almost 8 years, and I even toured with it a few times, in a kind of
janky, not-ideal but who cares kind of way. I love the bike, but luckily
this T700 I found for free is just my size so I'm replacing it.

The only difference between the two frames is that the 450 has less tire
clearance and recessed brake nuts. A couple of years ago I did a 650b
conversion on it which allowed me to get fenders plus 32mm Nifty Swifty's.
I haven't tried Col de la Vie's but I have a feeling they'd just barely
fit. But when on the T700 I found, I'll be able to put Schwalbe Marathons
on these wheels, something I'm super excited about.

Other than the wheelset I'll be migrating my Bosco bars, shimano levers,
Sun Race one-at-a-time shifters and my compact Tubus "Fly" rear rack. The
crank was missing when I found it, so I'm adding a new Sugino x D600, and
just replaced the bottom bracket last night.

Jack B: I love your suggestion of getting a Sam Fork, but, I think I might
hold off and at some point buy a true tourer like a Hunq or an Atlantis.

I'll post pictures at some point if you all are interested.