Wow that's terrible.  Sorry to hear of it.  That could be really dangerous
going downhill fast. your derailer could be wrapped around the cassette in
a hurry.

I have one of those XT-780 hubs also, and it has been rock solid, go figure
 I've done about 12,000Ks of rando rides on it in the last 3 years.  Now
I'm worried, but maybe it's one of those things if it doesn't break right
off the bat, it's good for a long time.  I hope so.

Another thing I have heard about these hubs is that the axle is aluminum
and the threads tend to strip when you try to break it down to grease the
bearings.  I have not actually tried this, but it's probably overdue for a
service so we'll see what happens.

-Jim

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Clayton.sf <clayton...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Almost new XT (HB-T780) touring rear hub. Freewheel has stopped
> freewheeling on a few fast descents turing it in to a fixed wheel. After a
> while it frees up again just to come back in the worst situations. Hub has
> less than a 1,000 miles on it. Searching the internet has not yielded much.
> Anyone have any experience with this issue? Will open it up today or
> tomorrow but is someone has deal with this before I would be thankful for
> any pointer.
>
> Thanks,
> Clayton Scott
> SF, CA

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!