Matt,
BQ studies tire construction to determine which designs give the rider the
fastest and most comfortable ride quality.
It is alleged that the speed percentages measured in the BQ studies (like the
slowest tire tested was ~20% slower than the fastest tire tested., iirc) adds
up over long distances. So a 10 hour ride with the slowest tires, in theory,
would take only 8 hours on the fastest tires.

I have not noticed significant speed increases with GB or Compass tires over
others I have ridden. But they are very comfortable, seem to keep their
momentum up very well when starting up a hill, and their cornering is
fantastic. I didn't get the last two benefits from my Schwalbe Marathons,
though they were also excellent tires.