On 09/16/2015 02:53 PM, Allingham II, Thomas J wrote:
Well, a brilliant and erudite classic combining mystery and romance is /Gaudy Night/, by Dorothy Sayers. The only mystery I can think of where the crime is not a murder (thought there are some attempts). Lord Peter Wimsey at his most human, but the better character is the heroine, Harriet Vane.

Three cheers for LPW! Although, personally, I prefer /Murder Must Advertise /and /The Nine Tailors./

Or a mystery in an entirely different style: /The Big Sleep/, by Raymond Chandler. Hard-boiled, but often very funny.

A little something to go with that... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmq9BivBL4 (actually, not /The Big Sleep/ but rather /Farewell My Lovely/)

And then, there's historical mystery. Today, both LPW and R. Austin Freeman's Dr. Thorndyke qualify, because enough time has passed that the time periods they (at the time, contemporaneously) portray have become historical. And if Rome's your thing, there are several terrific series. Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco novels (starting with /Silver Pigs/) and now continuing with Flavia Albia; John Roberts Maddox's SPQR series; and of course Steven Saylor's Gordianius the Finder. (Several others, too, but those are the major league.) But no matter what your historical period, chances are you'll find someone writing historical mysteries about it.

And speaking about historical novels, I can't stop without mentioning Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. I saw him in person once, at the Library of Congress. He'd come to give a reading. In the audience were several honest to god captains of real life tall ships, at least one of whom had come across the entire country to come see him.