Michael:

I've long had the VO Randonneur front rack on my 60cm Ram (attached
with p-clamps), as well as the VO Constructeur on the rear.  I've
always run Giles Berthoud SS fenders under them, attached at the
racks' fender mounts.

Functionally, I've never had a problem with the racks.  The
finish/welds were never up to Nitto standards, to my eye.  Of course,
I bought these many years ago (eight, maybe?).  They may have improved
now.

These days, if I was buying VO again, I might lean toward the
Constructeur on the front.  I'm less interested in using p-clamps than
I used to be, and there are no mid-fork eyelets on my Ram.

Mark