sorry to hear, but the farm idea sounds incredible. the way i justified my
rivendell was by telling myself that it would stop me from buying vintage
bikes and refurbishing them, which is a fun money hole. Also, that the new
bike would be a bike to get old with.  it more or less did stop that habit,
and im not very old yet, but im still excited to have the riv with me into
the future. in the long run, i think it saved/will have saved me money
(though definitely not initially and with a couple rounds of
component/accessory swaps), and increased my satisfaction with biking.

all that to say that maybe there are other things that can be cut out, or
maybe a long lasting, durable farm bike could be worth investing in.