My wife and I went touring in Europe with a pair of Carradice Camper
Longflap saddlebags (hers was a lowsaddle longflap) each with no support
underneath. I cut plastic stiffeners to fit the inside of the bags to
prevent them sagging overmuch, and that worked without any problems. We
were using Carradice SQR mounts. Picture of the bikes here:
http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bikestuff/Switzerland/altdorf.jpg

Nick