On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 10:53:49 AM UTC-6, Tim Wood wrote:

> I'm a little concerned about the 64cm of tt length I'll be rocking on my
> 59 but with bosco bars I'm sure reach won't be a major concern.

Going to be an interesting  experience, isn't it?!  Here's thought:

Compared to the 58 Hunq., the top tube is 4 cm longer, but the front
center is only 2.3 cm longer.   In addition to that, the slightly slacker
(1/2 degree) head angle will shove the handlebars further backward, toward
the rider, making it feel effectively shorter yet - so probably pretty
comparable in fit to that size Hunq.   However, add the extra reach-back of
the bosco bars, as you say, and I wouldn't be surprised if you (and
I) actually find ourselves needing to embrace a laid-back cruiser-style
fit, and even set the seat back further than normal.   Otherwise, it might
feel cramped during out-of-the-saddle climbing?  I haven't ridden a Hunq.,
so this is total speculation, mind you.

Either way, I'm more inclined these days to follow the cue of a frame's
seat tube angle, and to accept it as part of the bike designer's intent as
to how the bike should be set up, rather than go into the process with
preconceptions that my saddle should always be set the same relative to the
bottom bracket, or of letting familiarity suggest what I think my ideal top
tube length is.   If for no other reason than that it helps me rationalize
owning multiple bikes because it gives them distinct personalities.  I
think picking a bike based on top tube is a good measure when you buy from
a mainstream bike shop that simply parrots what the fit charts and
magazines say, and would otherwise put you on the wrong size, but Rivendell
is a bit different.

Attached is a side-by-side comparison between the Clem and Hunq.  I filled
in some blanks based on what we know now. Looks like there might be some
typos in the steering geometry of the 52 Clem though - so no guarantee that
this is correct.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o1us7ygp7U0/ViPrUew6qtI/AAAAAAAAAKA/liilTVLyu0M/s1600/ClemVsHunq.jpg>