on 11/19/09 7:50 PM, Tim McNamara at tim...@bitstream.net wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:16 PM, CycloFiend wrote:
>
>> on 11/19/09 5:39 AM, Mark at mclbicy...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Efficiency is a funny word to those who ride a bike for fun! I agree
>>> it may be important if you are in competition, but when I ride and I
>>> am out looking at the birds and the beautiful scenery, effeciency? To
>>> me, thats why I was attracted to Grant, because his whole philosophy
>>> about bike riding has been forgotten by the industry that has
>>> forgotten what it was like as a kid to just go out and have fun
>>> riding
>>> a bike. Thats what makes the RIV so much better and fun!
>>>
>>> No offense intended Eric, People do ride bikes for different reasons
>>> and if training or competition is important, stay with the deraileur!
>>
>> I think the bicycle is the most wonderfully efficient tool we've
>> managed to
>> come up with, and don't find the ideas of effiency to be at odds
>> with GP or
>> Rivendell in general.
>
> Well, we're begging the question "efficiency for what?"  For a Tour
> de France TT?  Or for a pleasant afternoon's ride on a sunny day?

Good question.  I think my point was that the feeling of efficiency is part
of my enjoyment, whether riding to the farmer's market of pushing my meagre
speed envelope.

The efficiency of a fixed gear resonates with me, as does a rigid mtb.  I
know there are some limitations with those choices, but prefer the
limitations with those systems.

Recently I got back on the Quickbeam-in-fixed-mode after a bit of a layoff,
and reminded myself of that feeling.  Rode around thinking "why do I mess
around with coastable, many-geared setups anyway?"

Of course, there were some climbs which reminded me of why... ;^)

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

³Velvet pillows, safari parks, sunglasses: people have become woolly mice.
They still have bodies that can walk for five days and four nights through a
desert of snow, without food, but they accept praise for having taken a
one-hour bicycle ride.²  - Tim Krabbe, "The Rider"

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines