This is generally the way riding is in NM -- wide open spaces that the wind
just sweeps through. It used to bug me especially when I was getting used
to fixed gear riding, but I've long since adapted. However, as I get older
and warmups become more important, I've been using the flip side smaller
gears a bit more than I did as a buff 50 something when the rides starts
out with a headwind.

Actually, it gets worse out here, since the winds often shift from east to
south to west in the early afternoon; so that, if you time your ride just
right, you can have a headwind both ways. Back when I commuted to work, I'd
often have a light wind off the mountains in the morning to complement the
6-7 miles of climbing (gradual), and then have a strong westerly in the
evening to cancel the benefit of the down hill run.

My funniest headwind experience, in retrospect, was the April 25 mile or so
lunchtime ride I took on east 66 out of Gallup, with a howling westerly --
ran out of gears in the big ring, maintaining 28+ mph.

Turned around, ran out of gears the other way (road triple with a 26" or so
low), ran out of water, and when I got back to the office, cramped in my
hamstrings when I stood upright and cramped in my abs when I bent over.

It was this sort of wind that let me climb Tramway in a 75" fixed gear
without undue effort, and kept me pedaling to maintain speed on the return.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:21 PM, JohnS <sharp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday I got out for a really nice ride of about 38 miles. The day
> had an overcast sky with temps around 50, which made for a pleasant if not
> cool ride. We're in the middle of fall here in eastern PA with all the
> trees in various shades of oranges, reds, yellows and browns. My ride
> started out very well. I felt great and was making it up hills in the
> cruising gear on the Quickbeam. I thought that I must be getting in better
> shape since some of the hills seamed easier than they had been earlier in
> the season. That all changed when I got to the mid point of the ride and
> turn east onto Lyon Valley road into a head wind. Ugh! No wonder why the
> hills were easier, I had a tail wind the whole way up to that point and the
> rest of the ride would more or less be into a head wind. I don't know which
> is worse, to ride into a head with the hope that I'll have a tail wind for
> the ride home or finding out that my sudden improvement in performance was
> only due to a gentle push from behind by a tail wind.
>
> Hope you're enjoying the fall weather for riding as well,
> JohnS

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten