A couple of weeks ago our lovely Niles Canyon that stretches between my
quaint little neighborhood of Niles in Fremont, CA and Sunol, CA was
closed.  The first day was for Caltrans maintenance but the second day was
for a full day Roll and Stroll through the canyon.  There were roving bands
of Charlie Chaplains since many a silent movie was shot in the canyon
including Chaplain's "The Tramp" and Essenay's Bronco Billy westerns.
 There were also people coming in from all over the bay area to enjoy a
carless Niles Canyon.  Although Niles Canyon is a popular riding area, it
can be a little tight in spots creating the occasional white-knuckle
encounter with passing cars so a closed canyon was greeted with great
enthusiasm.  A group of Bay Area Riv Riders were meeting in Pleasanton to
start their ride to the canyon.  Since I lived in Niles, I rode up to
Pleasanton to meet them.  After a slight delay at the Pleasanton BART, the
group rolled down Foothill Road to the Pleasanton Ridge State Park where I
was waiting to join them.  It was a gorgeous day for a ride in the canyon.
 As we rode through the canyon to climb Palomares Road, the Niles Canyon
Railway train passed overhead and we were greeted by the waving passengers.
 Our Palomares climb was interrupted near the top when we decided to to try
the group's first mid-ride wine stop at the Westover Winery in Palomares
Canyon.  I didn't get any pictures in the winery since we were busy
chatting and tasting but I did get a few pictures of the inventive ways
Tony and Evan attached bottles to their bikes for the ride home.  We parted
ways at the summit and each enjoyed our own wild descents down different
sides of Palomares Road.

Thanks to Tony, Evan, Roger, Daniel and Riv's own Joe Bundik for a nice
afternoon ride.  Here are the
photos: https://goo.gl/photos/Sioxwa699QVaKEgH7

John