Conway,

I barely got 1500 miles on my rear before the tread was very thin and the
sidewalls were starting to go.  The front sidewalls were getting very
frayed as well.   They actually were showing significant wear at 700-1000
miles. I love these tires they are fat and grippy an really ride well on
dirt and singletrack here in NM, but they are very soft, and for me riding
rocky trails  at altitude (7300feet+)  the thin tan sidewalls do not
last.   My recommendation is to run these as mostly off road tires and get
blackwalls. I am not a huge fan of how they roll on the road, they are
pretty buzzy, but they are great for mostly off road mixed terrain riding.
They are at their worst for long road climbs.  I think if you actually got
2500 miles on the rear you really did get your moneys worth on them,
though.  I am not sure I get anything like that on any high performance
tire.

Good luck,

Tarik

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Conway Bennett <
captainconwaybenn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason I'm asking is when I was riding home last night my rear wheel
> started thumping and felt like it was yawling.  I thought the wheel was out
> of true but it is new with maybe 100 miles on it.  I finally stopped and
> realized the casing on the skinwall is splitting on the non drive side a la
> '80s garage bike dry rot.   FWIW I bought these in the summer of 2013,
> rotated them in 2014 and I split time on my SH with Bruce Gordon R&Rs and
> my QB with lil Big Bens so maybe 2500 computing miles on them.  Bikes are
> stored inside.

Tarik Saleh
tas at tariksaleh dot com
in los alamos, NM, USA, po box 208, 87544
http://tariksaleh.com
all sorts of bikes blog: http://tsaleh.blogspot.com