Been thinking about this some more.  One think about 11 speed that
I've noticed is that some sites claim that the cable pull is not the
same ratio throughout the travel.  Which makes me wonder if certain
shifters have to be paired with certain rear derailers.  I run the
Microshift bar-ends now, and would like to continue using them, but
with the uncertainty around cable pull, would they mix with a Shimano
derailer?  I dunno, maybe should stick with 10 speed, that makes
things a lot less complicated.  I know in that case I would only need
to change the shifter, cassette and chain to switch to 10 speed.  That
seems a bit more appealing, on second guess.

The other thing is, how to best achieve the gears I want.  It's easier
to run a slightly narrower cassette if you accept having a bigger jump
on your wide-low double.  Maybe I should just give up having a 32 or
34 in the back, and just run a smaller bailout gear.  The end goal is
to keep my lowest gear inches and highest gear inches around where
they are now, but bridge some of the gaps in the middle.

I can get a Miche 12-29 10 speed, which has the ratios
12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26-29 and also a loose 16 and a loose 24, from
XXCycle. for $59.53 shipped.  Removing the 23 and 26, and inserting
the 16 between the 15 and 17, and the 24 between the 21 and 29, gives
one 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-29.

With 44/24 the aforementioned modified ratios get you:
95.3 52.0
88.0 48.0
81.7 44.6
76.3 41.6
71.5 39.0
67.3 36.7
60.2 32.8
54.5 29.7
47.7 26.0
39.4 21.5

Current top gear with 44/28 and 11-34 in back is 104.0".  Current
lowest gear is 21.4.  So I give up a little top end, and the bottom
end is almost identical.  I do use the 104" gear pretty often on road
rides but maybe I just need to work on my coasting technique and
forget about it.

Why do I obsess about this stuff for months before spending a
relatively small amount of money?  It's a curse.

-Jim