On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 10:54 AM, iamkeith <keithhar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have one set, of Ultegra STI 9 speeds on my RB-1.  I do like them, but
> mostly for variety's sake.  It's kind of fun to have one bike upon which
> regular and frequent shifting is part of the ride experience. If I had to
> choose or only had one bike, I still like simple, separate shift levers of
> one sort of another though.  Ignoring the durability and adjustment issues,
> something about the inherent side-to-side wobble of the brifter levers is
> unnerving to me.  My favorite system for drop bars are the Kelly take-off
> mounts.

I've only tried brifters "around the block" and found the shift action
rather awkward and annoying -- I had to push the lever inward so far it
felt awkward. I do love Silver BES and use them on my off road bike -- 9
speed; they are precise enough and the lever is long enough that I get
pretty good control; interesting: the Microshift derailleur that got into
the spokes and exploded was more precise than the replacement Dura Ace
7410; but the last shifts fine anyway -- just a lot more movement of the
derailleur for a given movement of the BES.

But!! With the new Race Lite and its 9 speed trigger shifters --- man, *how
easy it is to shift!!* I generally don't shift much, either on- or off
road, but I find myself tempted to shift a lot more with these triggers --
partly of course because the gaps between gears are so big and I'm always
searching for the right one. New cog and ring arrangements in planning.

One shifting system I liked a great deal on road was the old Kelly
Take-Offs, that put dt shifters just inboard of the brake hoods. I found
these particularly nice for half stepping, and I could shift from hoods as
well as hooks. I wonder how they'd do off road ....

> I'll say this though:   The comfort/ergonomics of most brifters, including
> the one you linked, is *vastly* superior to any lever-only design out
> there, that I've found. The hoods themselves are large enough that they're
> actually a joy to rest your hands on (indeed this seems to be the primary
> hand position for most modern road bikes), and the levers are way easier to
> reach from the drop position even when the brake body is mounted high
> enough to be utilized as a true hand perch.

I know that it's each to his-er-her own, but I find the "traditional"
Shimano aero, pre-brifter hoods very comfortable, and try to install these
on all my road bikes. In fact, I like them better than the Tektro or Cane
Creek V-brake drop bar levers on the dirt road bike (formerly known as
Fargo, shortly, God willing, to be known as Matthews Custom Cycles) which I
find, frankly, too long. There seems to be a natural transition between the
long, flat ramp of the Maes Parallel and the Shimano aero hood, with a very
definite stop in just the right place.

I suppose all of this is simply to say that brake hood shapes and shifter
positions are almost as personal a taste as saddles and gearing.

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten