Well, gravel or dirt roads I like something 40mm..or rails to trails type
stuff I can get by with 32mm tires pretty well. I've used Compass stampede
pass tires on the Roadeo for this or Pari Motos back when I had the
Hillborne. Wider is cushier though...and more comfortable.

 For the actual dirt around me, meaning single track stuff, which is
generally rooty  with steep up and downs with a mixture of dirt, rock,
sand, and can be muddy or dusty depending on the year, I've been doing
pretty well on my full squish mountain bike using 29x2.3 Bontrager XR3
tires.

I'm looking at purchasing one of them fat bikes though, probably a Trek
Stache or Farley for a "just for fun" bike. I cannot make my friend's lose
grip while climbing the trails no matter how much I hammer while standing.
It's quite something...