This was a truly amazing event.

It was my birthday, but I always take off work because I don't want a fuss
made. Here's a super-fuss, but someone else is the focus! Perfect.
I will literally drive 7 hours to see David, Jim, and Hugh, so it was great
to see them on my home turf again. Here's an aside - Jacquie knows and
loves people from every aspect of a life lived diversely. "Oh I know her
from what some people call 'old-timey' music. Don't call it 'old-timey'
music." "I've known Charlie since forever. We grew up in Mill Valley
together." ("*I* grew up in Mill Valley!!") "I did some racing in the '80s.
Jacquie and I were two of the very few females in the early mountain bike
scene." "My kid and his friend over there stalked Jacquie and Charlie when
they were in high school." ("I know him! Your kid is AWESOME!") "We're
neighbors. We live on the best street in the world," (this may be true),
but people were like, "You know Jacquie from the INTERNET? That's weird."
("I know DAVID from the internet, and everyone thinks we must have grown up
together! I know your KID from the internet!")
So that's the gist of the aside: the internet is rad, and it's this group
here that brings all us weirdos together.

I had never stayed at the West Point Inn before, or done more than go up on
the porch once, even though I'd gotten water there, or rested with the
other mountain bikers, probably hundreds of times. For future reference,
you basically need a toothbrush and a sheet. Everything else is provided.
You don't need to make two trips from Pantoll with a sleeping bag, pad, air
mattress, pillow, growlers of beer, and two changes of foul-weather gear.
If you DO schlep that stuff, though, the views are spectacular and homey at
the same time. The two growlers of Pliny and Stonefly Stout were probably
necessary, though, in the first outing of a Carradice bag I traded from
Patrick M. more than a year ago. https://www.instagram.com/p/_LDLrCA5tN/

I made a new friend, Craig Cos <http://craigcoss.com/>s, who made Jacquie's
flyers, and was kind enough to sag back with David as I wheezed and huffed
up the Deer Park trail out of Muir Woods. By any competitive measure of
cycling, I was last. Last down, most timid on the Coastal Trail, last up
Deer Park; weirdest and cheapest bike; least skilled at living off a bike.
I still feel like a winner. Best day, best ride, best people, most
fun. https://www.instagram.com/p/_OG9Xeg5sL/?taken-by=biketinker

If there's a "half-birthday" gathering up there, I'm in. You should be,
too.

Philip
www.biketinker.com