I like the description "Stately"; I think that sums it up nicely.  I would not
describe it as lively,  but it does not feel dead either.  To me Its just the
sort of bike that does not wow you, it impesses in small subtle ways and it
endears itself to you slowly over time.
I have the Clementine which is essentially the same thing as the Clem., but I
rode the Clem demo in Walnut Creek in June & I would say the non-step through
frame is slightly more "lively".
I rode with a 20lb. front load in a Wald basket yesterday and it was real nice
with the load evenly distributed I was curious to see if I could ride with no
hands so I tried it and I could easily do it. I didn't really because I did not
want to take the chance of the load shifting suddenly & me landing on my head!