It is a *logical* idea.

Imagine if we didn't have the legacy baggage of pulling cable to downshift
in the back. Wouldn't it make more sense if both front and rear derailleurs
did the same (upshift or downshift) if a particular action was actuated
(such as pull or release cable)? With rapid-rise (or Low normal), Shimano
was just harmonizing front and rear derailleur actions so pulling cable
(with DT, thumbs, barends & STI) will all result in upshifts. Sounds pretty
logical to me and it should be easier to teach newbies too.

I also seem to recall that one of the technical reasons for rapid-rise was
to improve rear shifting. Apparently, the downshift-facilitating ramps on
the HG cassettes work better when the chain is gently prodded by a spring,
rather than getting ham-fisted with an overly eager rider.

In any case, it's not a particularly hard skill to switch to. No shifts are
truly critical for non-pros, so a mis-shift here or there isn't bad. One
can always harmonize all Shimano-equipped bikes with rapid-rise rear
derailleurs! :)

Anyone remember the reverse shifting Sachs *front* derailleur?