On 12/29/2015 10:36 PM, William deRosset wrote:
Dear Steve,

Sure. The Longstaff was built to carry fenders full-time. The basic Rivendell
design templates were adapted/lifted from Bridgestone and Schwinn Paramount
production concepts and standard American build practice. These are not bad
roots, but they are grounded in a less-specified build concept, that of
frame+wheels+parts+accessories vs. integrated design.

The Rivendells products I have used were built with horizontal dropouts, and
used a forward-biased fitting for the chainstay bridge as a result. They were
built to clear a design tire when inflated, and fender line was apparently not
a significant priority. Having room for them was an avowed concern.

Besides, the Rivendell sales literature ppked a bit of fun at the Honjo fenders
in favor of Esges, and made specific reference to the difficulties of Honjo
setup.

As usual, I think you have got it 100% correct.