Thanks for the idea, Mark. None of my Rivs, but my Gunnar has a
slightly oversiz seat tube. It's not the post, as I've tried multiple
ones, and all slip. I've tried carbon paste, and that doesn't grip
enough. Have been tempted to go to a 27.4 post, which I think would
fit (it's that far off). But will try the Loctite first, as that'll be
a bit cheaper!!!

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Mark Reimer <marknrei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've read many times on this forum that some Riv owners find their seat
> posts to slip down. I'm the same. My Atlantis still has the stock Kalloy
> seatpost, which has been slipping since I got the bike. On road or smoother
> trail rides, it might not slip every ride, but every few rides it'd drop a
> millimeter or two. Riding single track and bumpy roads would drop it a good
> centimeter at times. I was frustrated.
>
> But now I've solved it!
>
> I started by removing the post and cleaning ALL the grease off the post and
> the inside of the seat tube. With the whole thing clean as a whistle, I
> applied grease ONLY to the inside of the seat-tube, and ONLY below the lug.
> Basically i'm trying to keep the clamping mechanism grease-free. I didn't
> put any grease on the post at all, as it would get lubed up when I installed
> it as it slid past the seat-tube grease.
>
> Now the secret - I applied blue loctite ONLY to the section of the post that
> would be inside the lug/clamp, which is about an inch of the post. If you're
> not sure where to place it, you can put a strip of tape around the post
> right where it exits your frame. I usually do that anyway so when I remove
> the post for whatever reason, I know exactly how deep to install it next
> time.
>
> The purpose of grease is to prevent direct aluminum/steel contact resulting
> in galling. Loctite does the same thing - it provides a barrier between the
> two, while also providing a bit of a sticky surface rather than slippery.
> Don't worry, it won't cause your seatpost to get stuck in there forever.
> It's designed to prevent exactly that. I've been doing this for about the
> last month and my post hasn't dropped once, even after a heavy saddle bag
> was strapped below it and I rode rough trails. I loosened the clamp to
> verify it was free and it spun easy. Problem solved!
>
> Hope this helps others

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal