I think where carbon falls down in Bike World is that it has to be good stuff
well designed in order to trust it. That's the only version you find in
passenger jets and Formula One cars, but not so with bicycles. The difference
between cheap steel and cheap carbon in our world is that the former just rides
like a heavier bike, while the latter can snap in two under you if it's too
thin, poorly laid up, or knocked into a couple light poles.

I get emails all the time from BikesDirect with generic Chinese carbon road
bikes at absurdly low prices. I have no idea who made them, or if they have the
first clue how carbon needs to be formed into a bike frame to make it
trustworthy. Not gon do it.