You are correct, it makes zero sense at all since the M-1 and the M-18
appear to be the exact same rack minus the 2 extra supports which need not
even be used of course, but in no way should lessen it's rating.

Lungimsam, The fixed Nitto rack I was referring to was the other one Riv
sells, the 32F. Riv claims the limit is 4.4 lbs for each.

Regardless of weights and ratings, my point here is to use some sense in
regards to loading any rack . These for example, are tiny platform racks
meant for proportionately light loads.   If one wants a larger platform and
proportionately heavier loads a Surly 8/24 pack would be a likely choice.