Several (more like 20) years ago, I rode a 55 or 56 cm (can't remember
exactly) Bridgestone X0-3, which I loved, although it was a bit small for
me (I'm almost 6 feet tall).
It had 26" wheels, mustache bars, slicks (26x1.75) and knobbier (up to
1.95s). What a fun bike! I toured with it and it handled weight very
nicely. I rode off road a lot, on road, commuted....I didn't know any
better and just rode it for all my purposes - unlike today where I "know
more" and have to have a specific tool for each task - and don't have as
much fun.

A little later on, I rode a Surly Big Dummy as my primary commuter. It also
had 26" wheels, and was the large sized frame (the largest they made). it
rode great, too. Of course it carried loads really well. It was never gonna
be fast - especially since I was pedaling! But I liked the bike - road well
for its intended purpose. And it was not a small frame.

Now I ride a 60cm 2009 Cantilevered Sam Hillborne with 700c wheels (of
course), and it also rides really nicely.

I just mention this because the reason I brought up the discussion is that
I'm just genuinely curious. I know some other companies out there make 26"
wheeled touring bikes in large frames, and wondered what the general
feeling among the Rivendell group was concerning the "ideal" wheel size for
a given purpose (in this case, loaded touring).