I have ridden a belt drive bike that was a sort of an early proof-of-
concept/prototype bike for Speedhound, and was suitably impressed with
the quiet-ness and lack of the "mushy" feel I expected for some
reason. It is a nice idea, but limited to freewheeling single-speeds
and IGHs, which are two drivetrain mechanisms that don't generally
appeal to me (this week).

See Speedhound and its innovative dropout system here:
http://www.speedhoundbikes.com/