Haha, i am legitimately worried about the endless gray skies in the pac nw.
that could play into it as well, outside of bike riding. i have heard
strong warnings about the freeze, it does seem very real. though i can't
say the bay area is a whole lot different in that aspect at least from the
5 years I've been here (local rbw riders withstanding that rule of course!)

austin is a viable city with tons of job opportunities for me, spent a bit
of time there, but probably not going to happen, all my friends just moved
away from there.

DC or back to Tennessee is the other option if I were to move, those
winters are pretty brutal but at least i know what i'm in for. DC can have
more temperate summers, 'can' being the key word. but i remember getting
pretty stir crazy in the winters.

worst case i say screw it and trade in all my bikes for a pirogue and some
fishing gear and move back to my home town of new orleans.