Yikes!

Nope, never been soaked or anything like that. I'll take your
recommendation of inspecting the nose piece. This is how my saddle has
looked since I got it - the nose shape I mean. It was slowly getting
lighter at that spot, but only very recently did the grain change. That's
what got me thinking hey this isn't just a wear pattern, this is actually
damaged.