FWIW, the Maxicar rear hub that has been on my Singer since the day it was
built was originally made for narrower spacing, but was modified at the Singer
shop to fit a more modern frame—with the original axle. There is perhaps 2mm of
threading extending past the locknuts on either side. It doesn’t look like it
would work, but it does, and it has for thousands of miles.

The lesson I learned from this is that the frame doesn’t sit on the axle.
Rather, the wheel is held in place by the force of the quick release squeezing
the dropouts between the skewer and the locknuts. The very small amount of
threading on my rear wheel is basically there to align the wheel; the quick
release does the rest.

I could buy a longer Maxicar replacement axle and have it installed at a
specialty shop (like Boulder Bicycles) familiar with this particular French
brand, but I decided long ago that there is no need to do this.

So … perhaps you *can* make your hub work simply by adding spacers.

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com
www.campyonly.com
campyonlyguy.blogspot.com