The frame of my Schwinn KOM had numerous scratches and chips, and some were
starting to rust seriously.  So, after adding some rack and fender eyelets,
I had it bead-blasted and powder coated clear (with a little sparkle) this
winter.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Tim_Gavin/media/KOM/IMG_05861_zpsiigil83h.jpg.html

Iowa isn't particularly salty (except winter, when my aluminum fat bike
takes the abuse) and the KOM will stay full-fendered.  So, I'll report how
the finish holds up.  This job cost me only $150, so I'd be OK with getting
a new powdercoat in 5 years.  Sparkle purple, maybe?

Tim