Pat and I have been exploring the Outer Banks of NC on our tandem. For the
first three of days in NC we explored the northern half of the Outer Banks,
(written in NC as OBX).  The northern end of the islands is the most
developed part, but has two big advantages  - bike lane/paths and a steady
wind out of the north which blew us back to our inn when we tired.  On the
third day we decided to head south to visit a lighthouse, probably less
than 20 miles south of the inn.   We enjoyed the ride down and the site
seeing, but the ride back into the wind was exhausting.  So on our last
full day we decided to drive south toward Cape Hatteras and then ride
north.  We loaded the tandem on the top of the Golf Sportwagon and headed
out.  The drive was lovely, on a narrow road bordered by dunes along the
national seashore.    The stunning sand dunes and absolutely gorgeous
beaches to walk on made the trip worthwhile even as the wind whipped sand
stung our bare legs.  When we got as far as Avon, 43 miles south on the
First Colonial Inn, we concluded that we weren’t going to find any rideable
roads, made a U turn and headed back.

At this point we noticed that on the trip down we had averaged an amazing
63mpg!  By the time we had returned along the same road that average had
dropped to 52, which is a difference of 22 mpg!  You can put that in your
powermeter and smoke it!

Michael, now in Chincoteague Va. and slowly meandering back to Vermont.