Actually, the Wald basket/ShopSack combo doesn't look like a bad
idea!  The ShopSack isn't quite as classy as I had in mind (I'm trying
to avoid the professor-hobo look, although I seem to keep replicating
it in spite of myself), but it might end up fitting the bill.  I do
like how neatly the bag fits into the Wald basket, and presumably one
could leave it attached as a lining when it's not needed for use as a
mega-bag.

The only thing, though, is that I'm not sure I'd like to have a basket
strapped to the bike all the time (that's something annoying about
this wooden box I have now), and the zip-tie attachment makes it hard
to remove.

But it's definitely a smart option worth considering!

How are other people commuting (in style or otherwise) these days?