Great idea - have fun on your trip.  I just got back from 6 wonderful days
in the desert with my kids, for their spring break.  Don't forget to have
your son leave his cell phone at home, if he has one.  ;-)

Interesting about the bottle not fitting.  Do you think the 58 or bigger
frames would have the same problem?

Here's a picture of the bottle cages in my maxed-out touring setup, which
might work for  you.  3rd position is a mini version of the Nitto "R" cage,
sized to take a small, store bought water  bottle, which is just slightly
smaller than a standard size bike bottle, as you can see.   I think I got
got this from Ben's cycle several years ago.  Not cheap, but does the trick
AND holds a beer bottle:

http://www.benscycle.com/p-2885-nitto-stainless-steel-500ml-water-bottle-cage.aspx

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-THLn6pUEprk/Vwflm8KJPdI/AAAAAAAAATM/aY7TiaJjFlMzPdiOW4yEpXu27Muq5LBcA/s1600/20160408_105416_resized.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YmTMQ8Emxp4/VwflqSgneCI/AAAAAAAAATQ/9_1b0sXorPEXiQh5PwSpInNKY9Z8KWZsg/s1600/20160408_105437_resized.jpg>