Hat quest update:

Conner Hats bucket hat arrived. Odd placement of chin strap (over the
center of the ear) and other things led to hacks and me being even more
thankful my wife and kids are very handy with needle and thread. The hat
now seems workable. I can't recommend them though, unless you like
rewarding mediocrity.

Far less wind noise with the sides snapped up, so I in effect have my
deerstalker meets cycling hat, though in an odd way. Will post pictures
when I have any worth posting.

With abandon,
Patrick