from the original article: "So pervasive is this trend that it seems to be
sucking the life out of other parts of cycling. It’s hard to find the
hippies and the explorers any more. It’s all about the competition and the
conformity."

Oh, man. Not my experience. The Lemond effect brought me to road racing.
Then life got in the way (or my knee decided to keep me from my destiny as
a journeyman cross-country racer, anyway), four years of military
discipline, second and third degrees, a first marriage, and commuting on a
mountain bike.

The Lance Effect brought plenty of Freds into the market, and cycling was
touted as the "new golf". My brother-in-law hedge-fund manager bought a
Pinarello to ride in Central Park.

Then the fixie punx started hacking up my favorite bikes, mountain bikers
got sick of clogged gears, the singlespeeders started crashing every party,
Grant started building bikes for medium-reach brakes, and now they've all
gotten a decade older, and are riding my kinda bikes all over the place
(though they've got this weird appreciation for disc brakes that I just
don't understand). I'm a snob with the best of 'em, enjoy a good session of
the narcissism of small differences, but the bike world (outside of the
pro- and wanna-be master's road racing scene, increasingly irrelevant to my
life) is bigger than ever.

Come on out next year for the 2016 Winter Ralleye if you're in Fort
Collins, the Single Speed Open, or, for that matter, any Wednesday Night
Lights. The youth are there, the MAMIWWC (Middle-aged man in Wool with
Children) are well-represented, and we're having a ball.

Cheers,

Will

William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO