From: "Frederick, Steve" <frede...@mail.lib.msu.edu>
Subject: RE: [RBW] Re: AT 0154

The XD has more flare/heel clearance.  The arm's are angled outward away from
the spindle hole, and thus can be used with a shorter BB spindle.  They are
also a bit thicker in profile since they are not forged in the same was as the
AT's were.  The AT is "low profile," which means the arms are straight from the
spindle hole to the pedal hole--no flare for heel clearance.  Thus it's spindle
has to be long enough to get them out past the point where they'll clear the
chainstays.