Late to the table here but this is a great thread Bob. It's nice to hear
about all of these routes in our area. It's a really diverse area with lots
of great riding. I live in Dobbs Ferry, a "rivertown" (Hudson) on the west
side of Westchester Co. I'm lucky, my house is right in between where the
Putnam and Acquaduct Paths run parallel to each other. It's less than a
mile for me to ride to entrances to either. Those two paths are where I do
most of my riding. The roads here get very congested and shoulders are
little to none for the most part. It seems Rivendell's are made to ride
these paths, my Joe Appaloosa is perfect for the terrain here. I do venture
off these well-worn paths from time to time. Every fall my family goes to
the Sheep and Wool Festival at the Duchess County Fairgrounds. A few years
ago I started riding up after Google mapping a favorable route. It's a
great ride that could start on the Acquaduct or Putnam paths, then some
nice country roads (first photo) and then the very nice paved Duchess
County Pathway. Its a 85-90 mile ride depending on exact route from my
house. Add 15-20 from the city? I could probably come up with my actual
route if anybody wants it, otherwise I find the bike option on Google Maps
to be pretty good. I grew up in southern Connecticut on the Long Island
Sound. I often ride from home to my sisters house in Fairfield which is
about a 60 mile ride. There are some great dirt roads along the border
between Westchester Co. and Connecticut and then its not too far to get to
great riding along the coast in CT. Again, sorry for not supplying routes.
I usually go by feel when I go to Connecticut. Having grown up there, I
never seem to get lost for long! Of course I ride into the city often too.
Adventures to the outer boro's, Rockaway Beach, Coney Island and Staten
Island happen a few times a year. A few shots attached: (1) somewhere in
Westchester/Duchess Co., (2) Old Croton Acquaduct, (3) Joe Appaloosa at the
Old Croton Dam (source of the Old Acquaduct).

Bill in Westchester, NY

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DJlmNHt4LFo/VzCZugm5aGI/AAAAAAAAAO0/nZxpjP9-OB41zvUE4PQ8_u-r2RZphm3MgCLcB/s1600/IMG_8724.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eB6zkPcIKf8/VzCZt5Y6wbI/AAAAAAAAAOw/bClritwjIugefsUwUTdW-KENTGGJBH7-gCLcB/s1600/IMG_8878.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-boXTa8r_-Rg/VzCaGe4Os8I/AAAAAAAAAPA/-1szBhtUUbc1D9nPVmzH-AoQ5BdcK-nvACLcB/s1600/IMG_0011.JPG>