On 05/20/2016 03:00 PM, masmojo wrote:
I am a diehard canti. guy, but I do have a few bikes with mechanical disk brakes.
While Grants observations are correct, there are trade offs; I have recently been
looking at going tubeless on a build and I've noticed some things, first most
tubeless/ disk specific wheels rarely have more than 32 spoke &  many have 28!
It stands to reason that while a disk brake may require a stouter frame,  a rim
brake is going to ideally need a stouter wheel.

How do you figure that?   As Rich Lesnik said here the other day,

   "A front disc-brake wheel is heavily dished (uneven spoke tension,
   left to right). The proximity of the braking surface to the hub
   increases the stress on the pulling spokes, relieving the "pushing"
   spokes -- the flex on the looser-side spokes can work-harden the
   bend in the spoke elbow at the hub, and it will eventually break.
   Same thing with the rear wheel (only here the lower-tension spokes
   are on the non-drive, left side). These spokes are already prone to
   breaking over the long haul, as they flex more, and will work-harden
   more quickly. This increased stress would still be problematic on a
   non-dished disc-brake front wheel, as well, because of the increased
   stress all around, at the hub. Admittedly, replacing a broken spoke
   is easier, and less costly, than replacing a worn rim. Nonetheless,
   a dished front wheel presents additional problems -- as the primary
   braking instrument, the front wheel, when unevenly tensioned (side
   to side), can, under severe stopping conditions, become unstable,
   provoke an accident, or even "figure-8". Not good."

And Rich is a very highly respected wheel builder, the very top of the heap in Rivendell-world. And I can add some anecdotal evidence to this: a guy in our bike club bought a disc-equipped Trek kinda-sorta-touring-bike last year, the one made for those proprietary "dry bags" that mount on a proprietary rack on the front fork. Since he's had the bike, he's broken spokes in both the front and rear wheels. Other than this, I'm not sure I can recall a single front wheel I've ever seen that's broken spokes.

Now simple engineering dictates that less rolling weight is preferable to
sprung weight, so theoretically,  moving the strength/additional weight to the
frame should result in faster, better accerating,  lively handling bike!

Unless you're talking about a suspension bike, there is no "sprung weight," is there? And in the suspension world, it's between sprung weight and unsprung weight, with the former being greatly preferred.

Now are the differences noticeable by the average rider?? That remains to be
seen

The average rider will most certainly notice broken spokes.