On 05/27/2016 08:20 AM, Ron Mc wrote:
when it flats is a criterion Steve. Tires flat because they're getting thin. Why is in your nature to call people out?

I didn't "call you out," I simply pointed out that you had not addressed the very question the original poster had asked. Why is it in your nature to turn everything into a personal attack?

And yes, I agree, excessive thinness of tread is my major reason for replacing tires. I gauge it by pinch-testing the tire. When the center feels no thicker than the sidewalls and is dramatically thinner in the center of the tread area than around the shoulders of the tread area, I replace the tires. Excessive flats is another reason, but you have to make sure the reason for excessive flats isn't an embedded sharp you missed. I find extra powerful reading glasses (2.5 vs the normal 1.5s I use for reading) coupled with the use of a very bright flashlight helps find those tiny glass shards and wires that are hiding inside the tire causing "repeat flats."

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 7:02:28 AM UTC-5, Steve Palincsar wrote:

    On 05/27/2016 07:39 AM, Ron Mc wrote:
    > I carry a fold up on every bike.  When it flats I inspect it,
    and if
    > it needs replacing, that's when I do it.

    I think the OP's question here is at what point, by what criteria, do
    you decide that it needs replacing.  I'm pretty sure most of us would
    agree, "when the cords are showing through" is beyond that point.