>  ...but figured if VO is discontinuing it, there's probably a reason why -
> I don't want to find out what that reason is.

You  had me worried for a moment, but I don't think these items are being
discontinued -  just trying to generate some sales on slow movers or get
rid of overstock to make room,  if I read this correctly:

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2016/05/special-deals-and-closed-for-memorial.html

If they are/were discontinuing, I think I'd need to consider some of those
items more closely.  Particularly, those 26" diagonalle rims.  Between my
family members and I, we've got four 26" road bikes that we want to keep
running in perpetuity, and rim-brake, polished, road rims are hard to come
by.   I'm just  trying so hard to reduce my hoarding tendencies:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-26-diagonale-rim.html

Just in case though, I DID buy a set of the wing nuts that I'd been
contemplating for a few years, for use on my non-quick release Quickbeam.
 I'm hoping I'll use the gears (and thus bike) more, if they're easier to
swap.   Other QB/SO owners might like them for the same reason, so thanks
for the heads-up no matter what.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-stainless-wingnuts-mkii.html