There are very many ways to skin this cat, but I like to do this:

Choose one ring, whether it be the outer or the middle in a triple, or the
outer on a double, on which I can do most of my riding, including downhills
and tailwinds, and most hills and headwinds. I do this by changing my
cassette as needed. I first choose the lowest high and the highest low that
are convenient, and then try to get the desired cruising gears in the
middle of the cluster. Me, I like 5 or so very closely spaced gears in the
(for road) 60" to 80" range; a 50" and a 40" are nice on the low end, and
an 85" or so is nice for a high. I won't spurn a 90" or even 100" high, but
such gears are very low down on my list of wants.

If I use a wide range double, I'd choose the cogs to give me this sort of
spread on the outer ring. If I were using a triple, I'd go slightly higher
at both high and low end -- that 90 or 95 or 100" high and a 50" low, say,
with the middle chosen more as a separate intermediate range -- say from
mid 70s to 30s -- instead of being set up for sequential shifting with the
big ring. With the Matthews, I run a 44 outer for pavement -- 84" down to
48", a 40 for dirt -- 76" down to 38"; and the granny down to 25". I don't
intend shifting sequentially between the 44 and the 40; they are separate
ranges for different conditions. Frankly, I'd choose a wide range double,
except that the gearing I prefer is easier to get on my particular crankset
(standard external bearing Bontrager mtb crank) with a triple than with a
double (ie, they don't make 39 t and 25 t rings for the 104/64 type of
crank).

Then I choose a granny or inner that gives me the lowest gear I even
theoretically might use on this bike -- the criterion for this being the
type of riding I expect to use the bike for. A road bike won't get the same
gearing as a bike meant for steep off road climbs. For me, a 25" low would
be gravy and icing and gilding all in one, and the 26X30 low on the
Matthews gives me just that.

Regarding derailleurs: probably not; unless you swap in cogs that are much
bigger than you are using now, there would be no point. You might have to
shorten the chain. Heck, I didn't even lower the LX fd after I tossed the
original 46 outer and installed a 38 in the middle position to use as the
big ring; it shifted fine.

Why do you want to switch to a double? Do you have a concrete goal in mind,
or is this just an experiment? If the latter, then try it out. I've tried
just about every combination using cassettes with up to 9 cogs, and it is
based on trying all of these, and discovering what I don't like, that
allows me to know what I do like.

Here is the 38/24 double I used on the Fargo -- note, 28.5" wheels. What I
sort of slightly dislike is the 68" and 64" cruising gears; I prefer the
70"-66"-60" series that the 44 gives me. As you might guess, it's really
not that big a deal, but I do prefer slightly higher gearing with the 175
mm Bontrager.

38.0 24.0
13.0 83.3
14.0 77.4 48.9
15.0 72.2 45.6
16.0 67.7 42.8
17.0 63.7 40.2
18.0 60.2 38.0
20.0 54.2 34.2
23.0 47.1 29.7
27.0 40.1 25.3
Again, skin the cat in the way you prefer to do it.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:42 PM, Lungimsam <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> History:
> I use a 26-36-46 up front right now
> I use a 13-30 7-speed cassette in back (avoids autoshifts with friction
> that way).
> Bleriot. 135mm d'outs in the back.
> This enables 95% of the hills I ride without dropping to the granny ring.
> But sometimes I must use it. Happy to do so, too.
> I ain't giving up friction shifting, and I ain't giving up 7-speed. So
> don't even.
>

> 1. I know if I go to compact double, a 24 chainring will be the inner
> ring, so that is settled. In stone. Because of the climbs I sometimes
> encounter.
>
> But it is selecting the outside ring that gets me.
>
> 2. The majority of hills where I ride I ride in the 36 x 30 combo.
> Anything harder and I dump down to the granny. 26 x 30.
> So there is no way I could ride a 40-something big ring. So I am confused
> about how to select the best toothcount for me for my big ring so that I
> don't alos spin out on the downhills, yet can do the uphills without the
> granny dump.
>
> 3. Should I just use the ring that would enable me to cruise flats in the
> middle of cassette?
> 4. Should I also then change the cassette to the widest 7-speed possible?
>
> I once tried a racer geared compact double bike and it wasn't for me. No
> low enough small ring and too big of a big ring resulted in lots of FD
> shifting, which I am trying to avoid.

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle