On 06/06/2016 01:05 AM, LeahFoy wrote:
The comment about the Miata home. That's EXACTLY how it felt to me on his bike.

I took his bike for a short ride and it was shifting fine for me. I *think* he
knows how to friction shift, but I'm going to test him by having him do it on
my bike - I know my bike works, so if he messes that up his problems are
clearly manufactured - by him! On previous rides, I heard his Clem pop into
other gears when he rode it uphill, and sometimes the gears would chatter and
I'd tell him to nudge it a bit but it would remain noisy until he chose a whole
different gear.

If it doesn't do it when you shift the bike and it does do it when he shifts the bike it's a compelling argument for lack of user skill on his part. If it's foolproof operation you want for him, put the proper indexed shifters on the bike and be done with it.