I participate in one sprint triathlon a year (the Canby Telephone
Gator Grinder).  Way fun.  I am on a steel bike (my Lemond Zurich, not
my Riv), but there is also an MTB category, and I've seen everything
out there.  I think part of it is that many of the participants do not
take this too seriously.

Ride what you want.  Have fun.

Lynne F