I'm trying really hard to justify this! Our current tandem is set up w/
Albas, B67/68 saddles, and 700X38C Little Big Bens. It's very Riv-approved.
But I LOVE the idea of getting a tandem that can fit 650X60B tires on it!
The thing is, we ride our tandem maybe four times a year, so the cost/mile
is pretty high on getting a fancy new one.
But yeah, really thinking about it!

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A recent posting on the Tandem at Hobbes List described an encounter with
> GP and two Rivendell prototype tandems.  Fabulous.  There are still too
> many tamdemistas riding on 28mm tires and mesmerized by lighter means
> faster.   We ride a number of tandem rallies each summer and increasingly
> see that they are filled with more mature riders. open to a more
> comfortable ride, so I think there is an opportunity to expand the Riv
> philosophy to them.  Now the market is dominated by Santana and Co-Motion
> both of whom seem inclined to push the latest invention over common sense.
> There are good custom builders who make very ridable bikes, like Bilenky,
> and no shortage of custom builders selling $20,000 CF, magnesium, and
> bamboo bikes with electronic shifting.  That leaves a big window for a
> practical, fun tandem.
>
> As an aside, during the recent Canadian Tandem Rally, on a blistering hot
> day, we found ourselves struggling to stay up with a couple, who appeared
> to be about 10 years older than us.  They were riding a recumbent, which
> are notoriously slow going up hill and  I kept thinking I would overtake
> them on the next short hill.  It never happened, and I thought I just gotta
> loose 30 lbs..  When we got back to the Ramada and were putting our bikes
> away all four of us looked exhausted.  Then I looked down and saw the
> electric motor on the back of their bike.  I almost felt better!
>
> Michael

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal