I also own a medium Clementine. How did you make the determination that the
chain stays are unnecessarily long? While I do realize that there is some
point where long becomes too long, I would have no clue as to where to
begin to make such a definitive assessment about the Clementine cs length.
In fact, since the Clementine has a distinct ride feel that sets it apart
from my other bicycles, and one of its distinct features is long chain
stays, I give that feature at least some credit for its Clementine-ness.
Would I notice if it were one centimeter longer, or shorter? Who knows. But
I bought the bike in part because the designer said "trust me" Further
reading at the link I provided above gives reasons that the designer has
moved to extra long stays, and those reasons line up pretty well with my
ride impressions.