I agree that somervillebikes' work is the gold standard when it comes to
wiring. Lots of "textbook" photos on his Flickr
photostream: https://flic.kr/ps/7De6c

If you don't feel like messing with glue: I went with 8 mil surface guard
tape ("helicopter tape" or "racers tape"). It's thick enough to provide
some surface protection (what it's designed for), and clear so it's pretty
discreet. I have used it to run wiring on multiple bikes. At more than a
foot or two away, the tape is barely noticeable, all you see is the wire.
It's also forgiving in terms of changing your setup or realigning the wire.
You can pull it right back off without damaging paint.

-John