On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:52, Jim Cloud <cloud...@aol.com> wrote:

> I believe that the Rivendell "Silver" model of the Tektro R556 is
> finished to a higher quality than the standard model, they also
> include the extras of KoolStop brake pads.

I own two pair of Silver Brakes and several R556 sets and can report
that they're identical in finish except for the logos. (not counting
the black version of the R556) The Silvers do ship with better pads,
as you mentioned.
The Silver brakes actually have "R556" stamped on the back.
Regardless of model, they're the best brakes I've ever used other than
the MAFAC Raids.
The Tektro R800A brakes are a lower quality finish but work just as
well otherwise.

Ryan