I've got a "700c" 54 SM (first generation) and like it a lot. It's a little
bit odd because I bought it used off CL from some guy and it actually has
the shorter fork (650b for the 51cm SM) on it. So my solution, ultimately,
after getting tired of only being able to run super narrow tires on it so
it would rub up against the underside of the fork and front brakes, was to
put a 650b wheel up front. Now i've got 35mm wide tires on it and looks
like room for fenders still.

Also don't know if you're in the SF Bay Area but there was someone trying
to sell a built up 51cm SM on CL. I think they were in the South Bay
possibly a bike shop. At any rate, the listing expired (not deleted) so it
might pop up again and if you've got the cajones you could go give it a
test ride / kick the tires so to speak.