Similar to Patrick Moore, I took some advice and splurged on super high end
coated Dura Ace shift cables for my next build.  Like PM I can't comment on
whether or not they are better, or how much better.  It will be a 10sp
index setup.

I'll point out that our man Michael has a tandem, though, and AFAIK there
is no Dura Ace tandem length rear der cable.  So PM's anecdotes and mine
will not be germane to Michael's issue.  I agree with Mark and Rene that
Michael's description of symptoms is 100% consistent with a cable friction
issue.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA