North wrote:
"I find it galling that a couple of posters on this thread have mentioned
Riv staff grabbing Irish straps as safeguards for customers on the floor
but they don't make that knowledge public via the website. Shame on 'em!"

Welcome to RBW Owners Bunch!

I'm sure you're a nice guy and the concern you show for the public safety
is commendable. But as a new poster, your tone might be overly... what,
strident, maybe? Maybe we can channel that Ralph Nader in you a bit and all
say hello before ripping into the galling nature of Rivendell's alleged
behavior. Especially considering you did not buy the rack from
Rivendell--not least because they don't sell that rack.
It sounds to me like your gripe is really with Ben's Cycles, who you claim
advertised a false load capacity for the rack that you purchased from them,
causing you to run it at overcapacity for 1200 miles or so, when it then
failed and caused you to crash. Those appear to be the facts. It strikes me
as a little boorish to pop in and start ragging on Rivendell based on that.
A heads-up regarding your experience, sure, duly noted.

Other than posting one of those scrolling, flashing, 90s style messages
across the front page of its website, I have to say that Rivendell appears
to be rather conscientious about how to install and use the racks that they
sell.

>From the Riv site, rack section, bottom (the top of the page states: Don't
buy a rack from us until you read the warning on the bottom of the page.)
**ALWAYS use these rack with a tether btw the tall tongue-loop and the
handlebar. They're strong little racks, but people do dumb things, and the
tether is a safety measure. Make the tether out of cord or any adjustable
strap.

Along with lots of other recommendations and warnings.

Maybe some of this is fairly recent update, as John claims. But maybe
that's because something came to their attention and they addressed it. To
me, based on the "people do dumb things" they may have seen
something...dumb. In any case, Rivendell doesn't strike me as a company
that would go out of its way not to warn people about a safety issue. And I
have been a customer for many years now.

You sound like a not dumb guy who knows quite a lot, so it's doubtful that
your bolts were too loose or too tight, or you bent the tang too many
times, or failed to check tightness occasionally. But still, you mention
big 2"tires and wilderness trails and something called GDMBR which sounds
super gnarly, and tying fenders of coroplast over the rack making
inspection difficult, and mud and such. It almost makes me think you need a
different, more super gnarly rack to suit your needs. My Surly 8-pack on my
Clementine (which, like your rack, Rivendell also doesn't sell) isn't going
anywhere off the front any time soon. It's probably overkill for holding my
basket. But I'm a low maintenance kind of guy and this makes it so I don't
have to fret about it all that much. The proper tool for the job, as they
say.

BTW, the subject of the thread is tang bolts coming loose.

There is also the sad fact that the quality of iron ore available to steel
makers is on the decline globally, due in large part to the massive demand
created by China in the last decade.